Situated to the north-east of Pau, this historic capital of Béarn from 1080 to 1260 had a brilliant development thanks to the Fors de Morlaàs, a charter of privileges which made Béarn a real precursor in terms of justice and democracy. Many traces of the past remain from this prosperous period when the Viscounts resided in this place and minted money, including the church of Sainte-Foy, a jewel of Romanesque art. Many pilgrims from Santiago de Compostela come here to pray. For a time, the town fell into disuse, but at the beginning of the 18th century, it became successful again by launching a craft industry that made its reputation, furniture. The markets, true secular traditions, still exist today.